NPR Analysis

After landing her way into Saturday Night Live, Aidy Bryant is now starring and writing in new Hulu series "Shrill".

"Shrill" is a new Hulu series from the book from Lindy West's memoir, that is about a young aspiring journalist that learning to become more confident in her body.

Being picked on her whole life about being overweight, she is finally putting her own experiences into this comedy series.

Bryant tells Terry Gross on "Fresh Air's" that she used to let other's comments on her weight be acceptable and never defended herself.

"I think for myself I always felt like people would assert things about my body or what I should want and I always smiled and said okay thank you and get through it with a smile," Bryant continues "I think instinctually even though people have said things that are hurtful to me I immediately say that's okay"

Aidy has always let other's comments towards her never affect her but she would brush it off and never fight back it. But she is learning how to defend herself.

"I discovered even more recently I now feel more comfortable pushing back and stopping, ... I don't want a stranger's input," Bryant said.

Terry asks Bryant on how the writing team feels about writing these tough personal scenes in the series.

"With our writer's room, I think those universal experiences became more specific with me and all of the other writers," Bryant said.

In one emotional scene in the series "Shrill", she tells her roommate how she is sick of how the media and society want her to change the way her body is.

"You don't think the whole world isn't constantly telling me that I don't try hard and that I should freeze my fat" she continues "It's a f***ing mind prison that every woman everywhere has been programmed to believed. I'm fat, I'm f***ing fat."

Bryant explains how the writing team felt writing that scene for the series, "It's still hard for me to listen to still ... it was something we all really felt." Bryant continues "I hated my own guts, my thighs and my arms and everything about my body. I felt the worst possible thing that anyone could ever do would be to do think I was fat or call me fat."

Aidy explains how she is putting her energy and time into working on herself, instead of letting the world tell her what to do.

"I start to focus on my goals and my dreams and put that energy towards that instead of counting calories or starving myself," Bryant said.

Aidy Bryant is still making laughs on Saturday Night Live and won't stop her movement on being body positive.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speaker Feature Evaluation

News Assignment

Guest Speaker